Ass. Prof. Dr.sc Gordan Georgiev
Faculty of Law & Political Science
Short narrative bio:
He completed undergraduate and postgraduate studies in political science and international relations at the Institute of Political Science in Paris (IEP de Paris), as well as a master's degree in European studies at King's College London. In 2009 he completed the Harvard Executive Education Program and in 2016 he earned a PhD in Political Science working on theories of social systems and structures of power. He have also taught at the Institute of Social Sciences and Humanities - Skopje. In 2018, he was appointed a member of the Governing Board of the Foundation Open Society Institute - Skopje.
He published several publications and papers in domestic and international relevant journals, numerous manuals and he is a co-author of two books in his field. A regular columnist / essayist for Deutsche Welle and a frequent commentator on Macedonian and regional television debate shows.
He has been active in the civil sector for 20 years, as Executive Director of Forum-CSID, one of the leading think tanks in the country and Director of the Macedonian School of Politics under the auspices of the Council of Europe and part of the Regional Network in 15 Eastern European countries. He is also founder of the Forum for Reasonable Policies, Macedonian think tank organization. He has been involved in projects implemented by the Center for International Relations Research (CERI) in Paris and projects of the Charles Leopold Meyer Foundation in Congo-Brazzaville and Congo-Kinshasa. He is an expert at the Westminster Foundation for Democracy and he has been hired as an independent consultant by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). His interests and expertise include research and field projects related to democratic stabilization, reconciliation, interethnic relations, reform and consolidation of political parties, regional security issues, parliamentary reform practices, and decentralization. In the period from 2009 to 2013, he was elected as a member of the Parliament of the Republic of Macedonia and Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Culture.
Course he nas been teaching and courses he is teaching currently:
Public Administration, Introduction to Politics, Political Management, Contemporary Political Systems, Public policy and Analysis, Contemporary Political Theories, Political Psychology, Political Culture, History of Civilizations, Ethics and Deontology
- Democratization of Political Parties
- Reform of the electoral system
- Illiberal Ideologies in the Balkans
List of published articles:
- “Problems of Representative Democracy in Europe” ed. by Jan Marius Wiersma, Ernst Stetter & Sebastian Schublach (October 2014, Vangennep Amsterdam)
- “Reshaping the image of the political parties in SEE" ed. Georgi Karasimeonov (Gorex Press)
- “Making and Breaking: The ups and downs of the Macedonian political elites in the process of EU integration”, ASN, Columbia University Conference paper, 2013
- “Comparative analysis of key roles and responsibilities for the senior management of civil service in relevant EU countries: Austria, Belgium, France, Portugal, Slovenia and the UK” - Center for crisis management- skopje 2018
- “The Law on Senior Civil Service – A comparative perspective”- Ohrid School of Natural Law-2018
- “Civil Society organization and political engagement. The case of Lebanon” – Westminster Foundation for Democracy (2020)
- “Money in Politics”- Westminster Foundation for Democracy (2018)
- “Political Parties Transparency Index”- Westminster Foundation for Democracy (2019)